Can you believe tax season is already upon us? This time of year, prior to receiving all the 1099s, W-2s and various other tax forms, I like to do a little tax pre-planning.
- I move last year’s tax folder to the front of the filing cabinet to quickly drop in statements and forms as they are received in the mail.
- I make sure I’ve accounted for all investment transactions last year that resulted in a capital gain (or loss).
- I update any personal information in TurboTax that may have changed since last tax season (address, home ownership status, etc.).
What are you doing to get ready for tax season?
The Frugal Roundup
How to Lose Weight in 2011. My introduction to Steve’s site a few years ago was his classic post on 101 thoughts on how to lose 100 pounds. Some of the best real world “dieting” advice I’ve ever read from a guy who actually did it.
Alternative Asset Classes That Are Easy To Own. I’ve often thought conventional wisdom on diversification is a little shallow. Not only should we be diversifying amongst various classifications of stocks, we should be diversifying outside of stocks into other types of assets.
How Much Income Will You Need in Retirement? Most people have the idea they won’t need as much income in retirement as they do pre-retirement. The reality is most retirees spend about the same when you factor increased medical costs, etc.
Tips For Self-Preparing And Filing Your Income Taxes. Yep, it’s that time again…tax time. I’ve been preparing and filing my own taxes since I was a teenager – even used to do it by hand with a pen and paper. These days, TurboTax is a big help!
Best of the Rest
- Mint.com Canadian Review
- A Resolution Worth Keeping: Set Up An Investment Account With An Online Brokerage
- Scottrade Review: $7 Trades and Local Offices
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) Changes for 2011
- The Best Travel Rewards Credit Cards
- 7 Simple Tax Organization Tips To Use All Year Round
- Living Social Buying a Million Customers?
- 10 Wacky and Clever Safes to Hide Your Money
Support Our Sponsors
Monitor Bank Rates. MonitorBankRates.com offers a free rate search and compare service offering the latest best rates on products ranging from certificate of deposits, savings accounts, checking accounts, credit cards, mortgages and insurance.
Berkey® Water Filtration and Purification Systems are the ultimate in water filtration and the ideal personal protection traveling companions. Used worldwide for normal, hostile and emergency environments to provide the purest, sparkling clean water possible.
Fine Art for the Frugal is the work of Olie Sylvester, once a starving artist himself, who has created reasonably priced works of art so that all may become collectors of his work.
How to Make a Fortune by Ron Insana, an award-winning financial journalist and seventeen-year veteran of CNBC, helps readers restore their depleted portfolios by guiding investors through volatile times in the market.